Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dwight Howard wants to add "Consultant" to his resume.

Dwight Howard was on an Adidas promotional tour where he gave us a few interesting quotes.

(All quotes are via a hoopshype.com article.)

On Stan Van's usage of Gilbert "Agent Zero worth to any team I'm on" Arenas:

“I don’t think our coach used him the right way, but I think he can do a lot of great things for our team,” Howard said. “He promised me this summer he was going to get better, physically and mentally, so he can come back and have an awesome year. I’m looking forward to that.

“I just felt like he didn’t get the opportunity to play his style but also play with me. I think he needed to. I think he got a couple of opportunities to do it in the playoffs, but it was kind of too late. So I think he will be great for us.”

I'm sure players do get misused. I just don't know if it applies to this situation. It usually happens with a bad coach which Van Gundy is not. I guess Dwight was expecting a pre-injury Arenas in terms of production.

Dwight also says he want's to be involved in personnel decisions:

“I should be involved,” Howard said. “For seven hard years I’ve done everything I could in Orlando for us to win a championship and I think I deserve an opportunity to help make decisions as far as the future.”

I think superstar players want to be involved for different reasons. Some are just control freaks. Some really think they have an eye for talent. And some need their ego's stroked.

For Dwight I think it's the last one. I think that he feels that being consulted is part of being franchise player. You know, the "so-and-so is being consulted so I should too" mentality. As for his logic that 7 years of working towards a championship entitles him to be consulted? Well than everyone who has put in the same amount of years in Orlando should also be consulted. Which would be a mess and that's why teams have GM's.

I'm sure there have been plenty of star players that have been asked "what do you think of player A and player B?" but that's up to management if they want to get feedback. The player shouldn't be out asking to be consulted.

How does Otis Smith feel about this? Apparently no way. When asked about it he said "I have no reaction". Maybe Otis should consult Dwight and the first thing he should to Dwight is "Get with Dwight and get him to re-sign!"

Hey Dwight, Otis doesn't think much of your suggestion. That should let you know how management feels. Sadly, Dwight might be an upgrade from Smith.





1 comment: